Ingram Symposium on Labour Migration in the Asia Pacific Region: The Challenges of Governance
Date: Tuesday, 21 October 2014
Time: 3pm – 7pm (registration from 2.45pm)
Venue: Staff Common Room, Level 2, UNSW Law
RSVP: Essential, click here
Please RSVP by 13 Oct 2014.
The Symposium will provide a unique opportunity for policymakers, researchers, advocates and industry stakeholders in Australia to engage with the Asia Pacific region’s leading labour migration experts on the key challenges to the governance of low-wage labour migration and the protection of migrant workers in the region. The half-day event will be the first of its kind in Australia.
Confirmed international speakers include:
- William Gois (Migrant Forum in Asia),
- Dovelyn Agunias (Migration Policy Institute, Manila),
- Dr Abrar Chowdhury (University of Dhaka),
- Marie Apostol (The FAIR Hiring Initiative (recruitment agency), Manila) and
- Nilim Baruah (International Labour Organization, Bangkok).
2.45 – 3.00pm Registration
3.00 – 3.15pm Welcome & Opening Remarks
3.15 – 5.00pm Panel 1 Key Challenges to Governance of Labour Migration and Protection of Low-Wage Migrant Workers in the Asia Pacific Region
5.00 – 5.30pm Wine and Cheese Reception
5.30 – 7.00pm Panel 2 Q & A – Recruitment of Low-Wage Migrant Workers: Governance and Protection Challenges